Wednesday 28 December 2016

A Packed Christmas Week

One thing I have never understood is people who don't like Christmas. Who doesn't like seeing sparkling lights everywhere, eating Ferrero Rochers for breakfast and spending time with loved ones? 

But Christmas this year was different to any other Christmas I've had. A typical Christmas for me is one day. I work Christmas Eve and Boxing Day so it's one day. However, this year my partner and I went to Butlins for four days 19th-22nd. Now, I don't know about you but I had never been to Butlins before and when someone says holiday, I don't expect to be so exhausted every night by 6pm that I'm ready to sleep. 
From ice skating to swimming to pantomimes to fairground rides to arcades, it was tiring! 

One thing I do regret is not getting more photos at Butlins. I'm known as being that one person that constantly has their phone out taking photos of everyone doing everything but this time I wanted to just be in the moment and enjoy myself so I didn't take anywhere near enough photos and I regret it already. 
When your two year old toddler screams because they don't have skates small enough for her feet so she has to go on the 'ice' in her shoes. 

Anyway, after returning from Butlins we most looked forward to seeing our pooch. For anybody that doesn't own a dog, you probably find it incredibly sad that we were so excited to get home so that we could pick up our doggy. However, for anybody that DOES own a dog, you'll understand that a part of us felt like it was missing. So, I get in my car to get ready to pick up said dog and boom! My car breaks. Brilliant. Three days before Christmas. 
Let's just say, I wasn't exactly happy at this point but all that was going through my mind was thank God I had done all my Christmas shopping!

So the car goes into the garage and I walk home. The garage phone me and tell me there's nothing they can do until the new year but the car can be driven. I'm ecstatic at this point and completely pissed off at my car that's supposed to be my loyal sidekick but is recently showing itself to be a frenemy. My Dad agrees to come and drop off my pooch and the family is complete.



I head off to work the next morning with my works secret Santa, get Dominoes for the shop for lunch and we exhange our Secret Santa presents and have a lovely catch up before Christmas. I finish work and head straight to meet a friend to exhange gifts and have a catch up carvery. I'm so exhausted by 6pm, I come home, help sette the kids for the evening and fall asleep on my partner on the couch. I wake up at 6am when my alarm goes off and set off to work. 

Yeah, I feel that way too , Freya.

Now, I take my break at work and make the journey home to see my stepkids before they go to their mums for the night and enjoy Christmas there. They don't even notice I'm there and they don't even notice I go back to work. I come home for the evening and spend some time with Damien. Again, for the second night in a row, fall asleep on the sofa, wake up at 4am with congestion (the joys of pregnancy) and am so frustrated I wake Damien and force him to stay awake with me. 

Christmas was strange without the children. It was chilled and quiet. But it was fun. We spent time with family and with each other. It's not something we do often enough. But getting the kids home in the evening and having another Christmas on Boxing day was absolutely lovely. 1) Because for once I didn't work and 2) I love knowing how much thought we put into the boys and Freyas presents because I know there isn't one present they didn't like. 

How was everybody elses Christmas week? 





No comments:

Post a Comment